Sandstorm, snowstorm, thunderstorm, hurricanes or tornados can cause power outages and using alternative power sources during these times is common. The shocking fact is that such power sources stimulate the buildup of carbon monoxide (CO) in the home and poison any living being (humans or animals) residing inside. Deaths due to CO poisoning inside a closed car is also commonly seen nowadays and most of us would be aware of the death of three youngsters that happened in Kerala, a city in South India, due to CO accumulation inside the car.
It is feasible to prevent these mishaps by taking precautionary action. Keep your CO detector batteries fully charged and be quick to purchase a CO detector, if you don’t have one already.
Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas found in fumes produced by ineffective combustion, portable generators, stoves, burning charcoal & wood, lanterns and gas ranges and can build up from any of these sources in enclosed or partially enclosed spaces.
What Indicates a CO Poisoning?
Headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, chest pain and confusion are the most prevalent symptoms of CO poisoning. Sadly, people sleeping or under the influence of alcohol can die even before they start having any of these symptoms.
Tips to Prevent CO Poisoning
AVOID FRAUD. EAT SMART.
+91 7846 800 800
Dietitian & Nutritionist Dr. Nafeesa Imteyaz.